For general information pertaining to the May Commencement Ceremonies, please contact the Commencement Office at (860) 486-6800.
Preparation for Graduate Candidates
The information below pertains to undergraduate candidates only.
If you are a graduate student and would like detailed instructions about where and when to gather and what to do when you arrive, please visit the Faculty Preparation page.
If you are a graduate student and have questions regarding your eligibility, how to obtain regalia, etc., please go to the Graduate School's Commencement website.
Preparation for Undergraduate Candidates
Who is eligible to participate?
For the May 2017 Commencement ceremony, the following students are eligible to attend and should "apply to graduate" to do so:
• May 2017 Candidates
• August 2017 Candidates
• December 2016 Graduates (no need to re-apply to graduate)
• August 2016 Graduates (no need to re-apply to graduate)
How do I "apply to graduate"?
You should "apply to graduate" via PeopleSoft and submit a plan of study no later than February 17, 2017 in order to participate in the ceremony. These will be used to certify your eligibility.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please visit the Graduation page of the Registrar's website, contact the Degree Audit office at 486-6214, or visit their office within the Registrar's Office in Wilbur Cross Building.
How do I obtain my Cap & Gown and Guest Tickets?
The caps & gowns designated for UConn ceremonies will be available from the UConn Bookstore beginning on Monday, March 20, 2017.
Guest tickets will only be distributed to those students who purchase their cap & gown from the UConn Bookstore. Please purchase your cap & gown before visiting the ticket desk. The use of pre-existing regalia (cap & gown from high school, family member, etc.) is no longer allowed. You must retain your original receipt from the purchase of your regalia in order to obtain guest tickets. The Bookstore is unable to print customer receipts upon request so it is imperative that the original receipt is retained.
Questions about the process should be directed to the UConn Bookstore at (860) 486-2653 or email@example.com.
Storrs Campus Students:
You, the student, must show that you possess an appropriate cap & gown by providing your sales receipt from the Bookstore. We are no longer able to look-up your previous purchases to confirm that you purchased a cap and gown. You MUST hold onto your receipt to obtain your guest tickets. Storrs campus students have two options when it comes to purchasing your cap & gown (and obtaining your guest tickets):
1. Purchase your cap & gown at Storrs Bookstore location. Retain the receipt. Pick-up your guest tickets between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm at the Ticket Desk (first cashier station in the Bookstore). You must provide your original sales receipt from the purchase of your cap and gown along with a valid UConn Student ID.
2. Purchase your cap & gown online through the Oak Hall Regalia Website. Retain the receipt. Pick-up your guest tickets between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm at the Ticket Desk (first cashier station in the Bookstore). You must provide your original sales receipt from the purchase of your cap and gown along with a valid UConn Student ID.
If you are unable to come to the Storrs campus, please follow the instructions for Regional Campus Students.
Regional Campus Students:
Regional Campus students (or those who are no longer located in Storrs) have three options when it comes to purchasing your cap & gown (and obtaining your guest tickets):
1. Purchase your cap & gown at your Regional Campus Bookstore location. Retain the receipt. The Bookstore staff will take a copy of your valid UConn Student ID and receipt. They will mail a copy of your receipt and valid UConn Student ID to the Storrs Bookstore location for ticket fulfillment. Tickets will be mailed directly to the home address provided.
2. Purchase your cap & gown online through the Oak Hall Regalia Website. Retain the receipt. Mail a copy of your receipt and your valid UConn Student ID to the UConn Bookstore at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember that your cap & gown will not be mailed in the same package as your tickets. Your guest tickets will be mailed to you in a secondary mailing.
3. Purchase your cap & gown via mail through the Bookstore. The order form for Undergraduate regalia is here. You must include a copy of your valid UConn Student ID with the order form. Do not forget to indicate the number of guest tickets you are requesting. Your cap & gown and guest tickets will all be sent in one mailing.
How do I obtain a Study Abroad Sash?
Did you study abroad as part of your undergraduate degree at UConn? Highlight your international experience with a Study Abroad Graduation Sash as part of your academic regalia at graduation! To order a sash, please go to the following website (Education Abroad) or contact Education Abroad at email@example.com.
What color Tassel should I receive?
Tassels should be placed on the LEFT; position is not changed after degrees have been conferred. Tassel color is determined by School or College and by degree awarded.
School/College or Degree
|Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture||Maize|
|College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources||Maize|
|School of Business||Drab|
|Neag School of Education||Light Blue|
|School of Engineering||Orange|
|School of Fine Arts||Brown|
|Bachelor of General Studies||Maroon & Ivory|
|Bachelor of Music in School of Fine Arts||Pink|
|College of Liberal Arts & Sciences||Black|
|School of Nursing||Apricot|
|School of Pharmacy||Olive & White|